Go Back   HondaNM4.com Forums > Performance :: Technical :: Maintenance > Frame, Suspension, Braking, Wheels & Tires

Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Rear Braking Pressure

Hi All,
When I brake, I noticed that the back brake needs a lot of pressure. It will stop the bike ok, but needs quite a bit more than any other bike I've ever ridden. Front is very good.

Just wondering if it is typical or if mine is not right. I don't get any ABS lights or anything.
Thanks,
Rick

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #2

I'm not sure since I dont have mine yet, but you should be able to adjust it.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #3

Ricky,

You may want to have the rear brake system looked at. The rear brake master cylinder is down behind the right side fairing (as you are sitting on the bike) and the rear brake should not be difficult to engage. Keep in mind that both front and rear brakes are ABS. The typical stopping ratio is 70% front and 30% rear braking power on the bike.

It sounds like you either have contaminants on the pads, or air in the line if it's hard to brake.

I come from a background of motocross where you always use the back break. It took me a while to get used to using the front brake along with the back to stop with the NM4.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

Thanks Patch. I see the reservoir and it looks ok. The dealer pointed it out to me when I got it, but I'll check it. Do you know how to pull the fairing off? The only screws I see on that side are allen screws in the right front storage compartment. Also three in the silver space above the black.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

Pulling the fairing

Easy as pie.

1. Pop the seat off using the key and turning it to the left as you lift the seat.
2. Undo the three silver hex screws holding on the Honda badge on the side.
3. Remove the 2 blakc hex screws near the seat position.
4. Everything else is tabbed, so start at the front bottom and pull, then move to the back and up around in counterclockwise fashion and the entire side fairing will come off.

If you need to see a quick video of the spots...check out my youtube channel.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

Thank you again sir! I believe there is little or no fluid in the rear brake reservoir. I'm taking it to the dealer today for the 600 mile check and will have them check it.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #7

Had my 600 mile check yesterday. The brakes are fine, but the mechanic said that they don't have great feedback. Probably something they could improve upon. Also had a 1 hour ride on the highway to get there with the new high windshield. Much better! At 5'3', it blocks a lot of the wind now.